Monday, July 21, 2008

Our Trip to New York!

I have to start this by saying that its going to be long...lots of pictures and I want to write down all the things that we did on our trip. Steve had a business trip to New York so I went out with him the week before for a little vacation. Davis stayed at my Mom and Dads (thanks so much to them for watching him!!) and we had such a good time. We learned some things that we would do differently next time we go (like stay in the city and NEVER go again in the summer...it was so hot it was miserable) but it was so nice to be able to just spend time together and see and do some fun things. Here is a run down on the trip...



We took the red-eye flight which I don't know that I would do again. We didn't sleep at all and by the time we got there were completely delirious! Thankfully our hotel let us check in early and we slept for a few hours. Our first adventure was to go see Shea Stadium were the Mets play (guess who's idea that was?). There was really nothing around the stadium and we hadn't eaten since 6am and by the time we got there it was about 3pm. The only place we could find to eat was called the 'Express' which was anything but fast, cool or good. It was probably the scariest place (as in dirty) I have ever eaten and keep in mind that I lived in Venezuela. It was about 100 degrees inside with a bunch of guys drinking. One of them asked me for my left-over french fries and then tried to dance with Steve. It was entertaining to say the least and so far neither of us have died from eating there. I was so hungry I would have eaten about anything, and I did. After all that, they wouldn't give us a tour or even let us see inside the stadium and it was really lame!



We also walked over to Flushing Meadows were they play the US Open (Tennis). It was a pretty nice park and even though we couldn't go inside the facility looked really nice. I loved this globe thing. We finally made it into the city and hung out in Bryant Park with our Jamba Juice (the only thing I wanted the whole time since it was so hot!). There was a huge yoga class going on right in the park with everyone walking by and watching which we thought was pretty funny and a little weird!

We went to the Today Show and saw Natasha Bettingfield in concert on the show. Can't see her in this picture? Well neither could we! We did get a little closer than this and she was actually pretty good. I was excited to see the Today show people since I watch it every morning!



Steve had to take a picture at the NBC studio since he is a proud employee of GE who owns NBC!

We waited in the line to get half price tickets to Broadway...we were close to the front of the line but unfortuately we got in line just in time to be in the sun and waited for 2 hours sweating our brains out! It was terrible and I am still amazed that we stuck it out. Because we stayed out by the airport, we weren't going to go back to our hotel before the show because it was a lot of travel time. After waiting in the line we decided that we couldn't sit next to people or really do anything with how sweaty and stinky we were so we made the trek back to the hotel, showered, and then back to the city. It was totally worth it...we saw Mary Poppins and it was amazing. I really wanted to see Grease and Steve wanted to see Phantom which I had already seen so we compromised on Mary Poppins and loved it. Broadway never disapoints!!

Times Square is just wild. That's the only word I can think of to describe it. Not my favorite place.

Apparently they are working on bulding a memorial in ground zero so there wasn't much to see as they are doing construction. It was more open last time I was there. I was amazed by how good everything around it looks. It is so crazy to think what happened there. What a sad part of US history.
We took the Staten Island Ferry to see the statue of Liberty. We sat by this really nice guy who gave Steve the map master (he got pretty good at getting us around on the Subway and such with his trusty map-it was truly impressive) some directions and tips on good places to eat. He was one of the few friendly people that we came across. I couldn't believe how unfriendly the people were.


One of my favorite places was Little Italy. We ate at a great restaurant and it was such a fun atmosphere.

We took a long walk on the Brooklyn Bridge at the end of the day and I thought my legs might fall off after all the walking, but it was beautiful and worth the walk.

We went to the temple to go to church at the temple there but unfortunately the chapel was under renovation so it was closed. Lucky for us some other members showed up too and we took a taxi to another chapel in Manhattan. It is always fun to go to church somewhere different.
Gotta love the ESPN store. Sports heaven, what more could a man want?
Sorry for the lengthiness...we had a great trip but it is nice to be home in my clean, air conditioned house and to be back with Davis!

7 comments:

Natalie J said...

If you were sweating that much, I would have been a puddle. Sounds like a fun trip. I have always wanted to visit NYC. I have always wanted to see a broadway show...never going to happen :( See ya tomorrow.

Tukuafu's said...

WELCOME HOME!! I have missed you immensley and even braved church last week.. Can't wait to see you tonight! Loves!

Jylaire said...

What a fun trip! Invite us next time. Just think of the fun!

Puerto Rican Gringa said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! I agree it is nice to have the a/c though! Your story gave me bad memories of hot trips in PR! Love ya1

Em said...

Summer - It was fun seeing you guys again. Sorry Davis was sick. Poor guy. Hopefully he is feeling better. Sounds like a fun trip to New York. Nothing like getting away for a little time to yourself. Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Unknown said...

how fun! I am glad you guys got to take a little vacation together before you went back to work. And I love your hair!

Bill Gates II said...

I am so glad you two had a great time. Trips with just your hubby are a definate need:) Thanks for having lunch with us. Hope to see ya soon. -Misa