Thursday, March 13, 2008

Moab Half Marathon



Last weekend Steve and I ran the Moab Half Marathon...we had such a fun weekend and had a great time running! Our friends, the Gardners came down with us. We stayed at our favorite little cabins and left Davis with Grandma Wright which was a nice break and made for a relaxing weekend!





I played my first round of golf ever (yes, I have evaded it this long!) and it was, well, alright I guess. Steve loved that I went with him but I just don't think golf is that fun when you stink at it. I would tee off on the holes I wanted to, then Steve would go find my ball in the bushes, hit it up to the green for me and I would putt it in. Not a bad way to play I guess! It was beautiful and of course the red rock surrounding us made it great as well as the pretty warm weather.
It was not so warm when we started the race-we were freezing up at the top of the canyon where it started. Once we got going, however, it was okay. I finished the race in 2 hours 1 minute (my goal was 2 hours and I just missed it-I should have ditched Steve earlier!) and Steve finished in 2 hours 5 minutes. We ran together for the first 8 miles, then found some friends to keep Steve busy so I took off and finished a little quicker. It was an inspiring race-I realized half marathons are a lot easier than I remembered (or maybe I am just in better shape, I am guessing the latter!) and I decided to run a full marathon this summer or fall. Steve loved getting ready for it and decided he is going to do a 'sprint' triathalon this summer. It was really fun to train together and see so many friends also running the race. We love Moab!!



10 comments:

Cinderella Mom said...

I am so proud of both of you!! What a wonderful accomplishment and I think that their timer was probably off, I am sure that you made it in under 2 hours. You really inspire me to get outside and run... ok maybe walk briskly. I sure miss you guys, hope that you are all well. Love you.

Jen said...

You guys are awesome. What an accomplishment!! I bet it was so fun to be able to do it together. Good job!

Samantha said...

You are my inspiration...Steve and Summer. Great job. Good luck with the tri-thingy you're preparing for.

Jylaire said...

I'm way impressed! I get winded walking up our stairs! Way to go!

Tukuafu's said...

You DID IT!! I am so proud of you guys! I don't know that I have seen anyone look as good as you guys running and finishing a half marathon! Love you all!

Puerto Rican Gringa said...

Way to go! but the full marathon? Wow! your amazing! I get way to bored! Keep up the good work and we;ll cheer you on this summer! Love ya!

Jeff and Larissa said...

Nice job guys! That's cool you did it together. I've always wanted to learn to golf, but I'm afraid of being humiliated. :)

Calli said...

Summer,
Way to go...I know how much time it takes to train for such things as I am currently training for a 1/2 myself. I was all set to run the Salt Lake half, but with a months worth of sickness, I had a little set back. So were shooting for one in May or June. I can't say I feel like doing a full anytime in the near future, although my running addict husband would love for me to be so ambitious.

Jill Larsen said...

Way to go! I was impressed when I finished a 5k, you are my hero!

zippa said...

You guys are amazing!! What a fun time. Those little breaks are refreshing, you feel like such a better parent when you get back. Davis is such a handsome little guy. How fun that he is walking:) We really need to hang out.